Monday, July 7, 2008

Only One Thing

Martha, Martha...

"Simplify" is a hot buzz word lately in our culture. How easy it is to get caught up and tied down by so much... stuff. But we're not necessarily meant to live a monk's life (who can also fall in the same trap as Martha).

Look at the words used to describe Martha: distracted, worried, and upset. Martha didn't necessarily have too much stuff in her life, but she certainly had too much stuff on her mind. Her thoughts were consumed by so much junk, she didn't fully appreciate that JESUS was sitting there in her living room, speaking words of life.

Now look at the words that describe her sister, Mary: sat, listened... and most importantly... chosen. "Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Are you feeling distracted, worried, or upset, or all three?

Remember, only one thing is needed... and we can choose to do that one thing, too.

1 comment:

Bec said...

This one is so good for me. I wish I could have known Martha better. I can relate a lot with Martha and so this challenges me every time. I have to remind myself about what is most important-the dirty floor or the fact that Byron wants me to just sit with him or that Owen wants to play basketball with me... or that I missed my quiet time that morning... hm...